- 2 pounds young carrots, trimmed, leaving a bit of the green, washed
- 3 cups vegetable or meat stock (homemade is always best)
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 2 garlic cloves, smashed and peeled
- 4 sprigs fresh thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- 6 black peppercorns
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Extra-virgin olive oil for garnish
Heat oven to 375°.
If some carrots are thicker than others, then halve the big ones so all will cook evenly. Lay them in a single layer in a small roasting pan. Add the stock, wine, garlic, thyme, bay leaf and peppercorns and sprinkle with salt to taste. Cover with foil and bake for 30 to 40 minutes, until the carrots are very tender. Transfer the carrots to a serving dish and keep warm.
With the back of a fork, crush the garlic and thyme into the cooking liquid. Set the roasting pan over medium heat for a minute or two, stirring to concentrate the flavor; adjust the seasoning with salt and pepper and strain.
Spoon the liquid over the carrots, drizzle with oil and serve.