- 3 pounds (8-9 medium) apples (Cortland, Macintosh or your favorite)
- ½ cup water or apple cider
- Juice of 1 lemon
- ¼ cup brown sugar (or white granulated sugar)
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Pinch salt
• Peel, core and cut apples into 1-inch chunks.
• Combine apples with remaining ingredients in a large heavy-bottomed saucepan. Cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until apples are quite soft (about 25 minutes). Allow to cool before proceeding.
• Carefully puree using a food mill or a food processor or blender. A potato masher works well too. Store applesauce up to 1 week in clean glass jars or containers in the refrigerator.