- ½ cup lemongrass (green leafy parts only), coarsely chopped
- 1 Tbsp finely chopped ginger
- 1 Tbsp coarsely chopped shallot
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 cup cilantro (leaves and stems), washed and dried
- 2 Kaffir lime leaves (can substitute with 2 tsp lime zest)
- ½ cup lite sodium soy sauce
- 2 Tbsp rice wine
- 1 Tbsp vegetable oil
- ¼ cup sugar
- 1 ½ – 2 pounds skirt steak, sliced in approximately 5-inch strips
- 1 package 8-inch bamboo skewers
In a blender or food processor, combine lemongrass, ginger, shallot, garlic, cilantro and Kaffir lime leaves. Pulse and chop coarsely. Add remaining liquid ingredients and sugar, blend until smooth paste forms. Place marinate in non-reactive bowl, cover and refrigerate for minimum of 1 hour.
Soak 12 bamboo skewers in water for approximately 1 hour. Prepare a gas or charcoal grill for direct-heat grilling over high heat and oil the grill rack. Or, preheat a broiler.
Drain the skewers. Remove the meat from the marinade, discarding the marinade. Thread the meat onto the skewers, dividing the meat evenly.
Place the skewers on the grill rack, or put on a rimmed baking sheet and place under the broiler. Cook, turning once or twice, until seared, 3 to 4 minutes total for medium-rare, or to taste. Serve immediately.
Serves 4 to 6.
By Neath Pal