- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 pound sweet sausage, casing removed
- 1 cup diced red onion
- 1 cup diced celery
- 1 cup diced carrots
- 4 cups bread (corn, brioche or high-quality white bread), cubed into 1/2-inch cubes*
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley
- 1 cup homemade or sodium-free turkey stock
- 1/4 cup pure maple syrup
- Kosher or sea salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
Heat oven to 350°. Heat butter in large pan over medium heat. Add sausage to pan. Break up into small pieces and cook fully. Remove sausage from pan, leaving butter and drippings. Add onion, celery and carrots to pan and sauté until slightly softened. Add bread and parsley and toss lightly. Season to taste. Place bread into a 9- by 9-inch baking dish. Whisk together the stock with the maple syrup, drizzle over the bread and bake for 30–40 minutes. Serve warm. Makes 8–10 servings as a side dish.
* Use day-old bread or spread cut cubes on a baking sheet and bake at 300° for 15–20 minutes to dry.
Recipe by Kaitlyn Roberts, executive chef/owner,
Easy Entertaining Inc., Providence