- Honey-Lime Dressing*
- 1 cup brown rice (3 cups cooked), prepared according to package directions
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 whole (1- to 1½-pound) boneless, skinless chicken breast
- 1 pound (2 medium) zucchini squash, sliced into ¼-inch rounds
- Kosher or sea salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1 bunch radishes, sliced crosswise into thin rounds and their fresh green tops washed and coarsely chopped (see note)
- 2 fresh farm eggs, hard-boiled and sliced in half lengthwise
- ¼ cup kimchi, such as Chi Kitchen Napa Kimchi or Vegan Kimchi
- 4 teaspoons coarsely chopped fresh cilantro, basil or mint
- 2 tablespoons sesame oil
- 2 tablespoons local honey
- 2 tablespoons rice wine vinegar
- Grated zest and fresh juice of 2 limes
- 1 tablespoon freshly grated ginger
- ¼ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
Prepare the Honey-Lime Dressing while you cook the rice. (Both can also be made in advance.)
Preheat the grill to medium-high or prepare coals.
Lightly brush the chicken breast with 1 tablespoon olive oil, then season with salt and pepper.
Toss the zucchini slices with the remaining tablespoon of olive oil, then season with salt and pepper.
Grill the chicken and zucchini over medium heat until cooked through. Juices should run clear when the chicken is pierced with a fork, approximately 5 to 6 minutes per side for the chicken and 1 to 2 minutes per side for the zucchini.
Remove the chicken and zucchini from the grill, allow the chicken to rest for 5 minutes, then slice the chicken breast crosswise into ¼-inch strips.
Assemble the grain bowls by dividing the ingredients evenly among 4 serving bowls. First place the cooked rice in the bottom of each bowl and spread it evenly. Arrange the chicken atop the rice to one side, then nestle the zucchini alongside the chicken. Spoon in the chopped radish greens and top them with the sliced radishes. Place the egg slices in next, followed by the kimchi, nestled between the egg and chicken. Sprinkle with chopped herbs and, finally, drizzle the dressing over each bowl and serve.
Note: Fresh, perky radish greens are terrific to eat (and are too often overlooked) but if they’ve wilted or gone soggy, opt for another green like arugula or kale.
In a medium mixing bowl, whisk together the sesame oil, honey, vinegar, lime zest and juice until well blended. Stir in the grated ginger and crushed red pepper flakes, season with salt and pepper and set aside. Dressing can be made up to 2 days in advance and stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator.
About this recipe
Total: $18.85 for 4 servings, $4.71 per serving.