- 1 small sweet potato
- 2 carrots, peeled and diced
- 2 parsnips, peeled and diced
- 1 medium white (Macomber) turnip
- 1 small sweet onion, such as Vidalia
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 bunches kale
- 1 cup farro
- Kosher salt
- 2½ quarts (10 cups) Vegetable-Parm Stock*
- Parmigiano-Reggiano for serving
- Quality extra-virgin olive oil for serving
- 1 pound sweet onion, peeled and chopped in ½-inch dice
- 5 carrots, peeled and chopped in ½-inch dice
- ½ pound fennel, trimmed and chopped in ½-inch dice
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 4 ounces (1 cup) crimini mushroom, cleaned and roughly chopped, including stems
- 1 stalk celery, roughly chopped
- 1–2 medium (½ pound) turnips, such as Macomber
- Kale stalks from soup prep, roughly chopped (optional)
- 1 tomato, cored and roughly chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, peeled and chopped 1 bay leaf
- 7 whole black peppercorns
- 3 pieces Parmigiano-Reggiano rinds
- 6 quarts (24 cups) water
- Kosher salt
For the soup, heat olive oil in a large heavy-bottomed stockpot. Add the sweet potato, carrots, parsnips, turnip and onion and saute on high heat for about 5 minutes, or until vegetables are slightly caramelized. Rinse kale under cool running water. Trim the tough stalks from the leaves and slice leaves into ribbons. (Use stalks for Vegetable-Parm Stock.)
Add vegetable stock and bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer and add the farro. Simmer for 10 minutes. Add kale and simmer for 15 more minutes, or until both the kale and the farro are tender. Add salt to taste. Ladle soup into bowls, and garnish with grated Parmigiano-Reggiano and drizzle with extra-virgin olive oil.
For the vegetable stock, preheat oven to 400°. Toss the onion, carrots and fennel in olive oil and place on a rimmed baking sheet. Roast until the vegetables start to caramelize, approximately 15–20 minutes. Remove from oven and place vegetables in a large, heavy-bottomed stockpot.
Meanwhile prep the mushrooms, celery, turnip, kale stalks, tomato and garlic and add to the pot with the bay leaf, black peppercorns and Parmigiano-Reggiano rinds with the water.
Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to a simmer, cooking uncovered until liquid is reduced by half. Strain out solids from the stock. Season with salt to taste. This recipe should yield roughly 2 ½ quarts (10 cups) of vegetable stock.
About this recipe
WINE PAIRING: Verde Vineyards St. Croix—Johnston, Rhode Island
It is a true pleasure to find a wine this delicious that comes from our community! The St. Croix grape is an American original, bred for flavor and to withstand harsh New England winters. Soft tannins, silky texture and lively but dry berry flavors are just a few words to describe this very well-made wine. A local and interesting pairing with the rich winter soup.
– Eric Taylor, Bottles Fine Wines & Spirits, Providence