- Spiced sugar*
- 1 lemon wedge to rim the glass
- 1½ ounce Barr Hill Gin
- ½ ounce Cocchi Americano vermouth
- ½ ounce fresh beet juice**
- ¼ ounce fresh lemon juice
Rim the lip of a chilled cocktail glass with lemon wedge, invert glass and roll in spiced sugar mixture to garnish. Set aside. Pour liquid ingredients into a bar tin, add ice and shake vigorously for 10 seconds. Strain into the rimmed cocktail glass. Makes 1 cocktail.
* Mix ½ teaspoon ground Chinese Five Spice powder with 1½ tablespoons granulated sugar until evenly distributed. Pour on a small plate to rim glass.
** Peel and juice 1 large raw, red beet. Fine strain the juice and set aside. (You can also find bottled beet juice at a well-stocked market or health food store.)
by Bartender Emily Costa, The Slow Rhode, Providence