- 1 pie shell, tart dough or puff pastry for a 10-inch tart pan or pie plate or 6 individual tartlet pans
- 9 tablespoons (5 ounces) salted butter
- 2 whole eggs, plus 1 yolk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- ¾ cup granulated sugar
- ½ cup all-purpose flour
- ¼ teaspoon cinnamon
- ⅛ teaspoon cardamom, optional
- 8 ripe peaches, peeled and sliced about ¼-inch thick
- ½ cup sugar
- ½ cup water
- 3-inch piece vanilla bean
- 2 tablespoons orange liqueur
Preheat oven to 375°F. Grease and then line a 10-inch tart pan or pie plate with your favorite pie shell, tart dough or puff pastry and chill.
Place butter in a heavy-bottomed stainless steel pan over medium-high heat. Watch for color to change and remove from heat when you see the melted butter turn light brown.
In a separate bowl, whisk eggs and add vanilla, sugar and slightly cooled brown butter. Whisk in flour and spices. Spread batter into tart shell and top with sliced peaches. Bake for 10 minutes, then reduce heat to 325°F and finish baking 45 minutes, until set.
To make the glaze, add ingredients in a small saucepan and cook over medium heat to reduce until liquid is syrupy. Drizzle over warm tart.