- 3 slices thick bacon
- 3 ears sweet corn, shucked
- 2 ripe avocados
- ½ cup olive oil, divided
- ¼ cup fresh-squeezed lime juice, divided Kosher salt
- Freshly ground pepper
- 6 (u-10) dry sea scallops*
- 1 head Boston bibb lettuce
Cook bacon until crispy. Remove from pan, dice and set aside.
Preheat grill or prepare coals. In a large pot of salted boiling water, blanch corn for 1 minute, remove, let cool and cut kernels off the cob. Cut avocados into cubes.
In a mixing bowl add corn, avocado, . cup olive oil and 2 tablespoons lime juice. Season with salt and pepper and toss. Taste and adjust seasoning.
Pat scallops dry, season lightly with salt and pepper. Brush the grill with oil to prevent sticking and grill scallops for 1 minute on each side. Remove from heat.
Toss the lettuce with remaining olive oil and lime juice and lightly season with salt and pepper.
Place bibb greens in center of plate, mound the corn and avocado mixture in the center of the greens and top with grilled scallops. Top scallops with bacon and serve.
* u-10 is a term for large sea scallops indicating under 10 per pound. Dry scallops are truly fresh and not “soaked” with additives that are used as a preservative and to add weight. Always ask your fishmonger for dry scallops.
About this recipe
WINE PAIRING Kosovec Skrlet 2014, Moslavina, Croatia—This bright, crisp white is shouting to be paired with this scallop dish. Made from the grape Skrlet, this beauty tastes like a mix of Sauvignon Blanc and Pinot Gris. Round with bright citrus notes and fermented in stainless steel, this white is organically farmed and has a beautiful mineral backbone.
—Jessica Norris Granatiero, The Savory Grape, East Greenwich
Learn to make this delicious summer salad with Chef Joe in another Edible Rhody Minute.