- 1¼ cups whole milk
- 1 stick (¼ pound) unsalted butter
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 6 ounces all-purpose flour
- 5 garlic scapes, thinly sliced
- 1 (1-pound) live lobster, boiled, claw and tail meat removed and chopped (or ½ pound cooked lobster meat)
- 4 large eggs
- Organic canola or neutral cooking oil
In a small saucepot bring milk, butter and salt to a boil. Add garlic scapes and flour all at once and stir vigorously with a wooden spoon until flour is incorporated. Reduce heat to medium and continue stirring until mixture pulls away from sides of pan, about 3 minutes. Turn mixture out into the bowl of an electric mixer, add lobster meat and beat on low speed with the paddle attachment to bring the dough to room temperature.
While mixer is running, add eggs 1 at a time, beating well between additions.
Heat 2–3 inches oil in a heavy-bottomed pot over high heat. Fry spoonfuls of batter in hot oil until golden brown. (Oil should be hot enough that browning happens quickly.) Remove from oil and finish cooking on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper in a 350° degree oven (about 5 minutes). Makes approximately 24 beignets.
by Chef Deja Hart, Newport Cooks, Middletown