- 1 pint fresh strawberries, hulled and sliced
- Table or kosher salt
- 3 tablespoons granulated sugar, divided
- 1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
- ½ teaspoon rosewater (optional)
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon ground cardamom
- 2 tablespoons baking powder
- 2¼ cups heavy cream, divided
- Whipped cream for final serving
Toss strawberries in a large bowl with 1 pinch salt, 2 tablespoons sugar, lemon juice and rosewater. Set aside for 1 hour, or refrigerate for up to 4 hours.
Preheat oven to 425°. Sift together flour, cardamom, baking powder, 1 tablespoon sugar and 1 pinch salt in a mixing bowl. Make a well in the center of the flour mixture and add 2 cups cream, using a rubber spatula to stir in the cream.
Once dough has formed, remove to a lightly floured surface and roll out to a ¾-inch thickness. Cut dough into 8 equal squares and place 1 inch apart on a large baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Brush biscuits with remaining cream and sprinkle with granulated or raw sugar if desired. Bake for 20 minutes, or until biscuits are golden brown. Remove to a cooling rack.
Cut open biscuits crosswise and spoon strawberries and juices into the biscuits. Top with whipped cream to taste and serve while biscuits are still slightly warm. Serves 8 for dessert.
Recipe by Chef Joe Simone, Simone’s Restaurant, Warren